The UN High Level Panel report on the Post-2015 Development Agenda released on 30 May 2013 calls on the world to ‘leave no one behind’, a critical landmark in youth-led ‘ campaign to see the world’s new development framework inclusive of young people’s perspectives and aspirations.
The Organisation of African Youth and partners are convening a High Level Youth Policy Dialogue on SDGs to be held from 19th-21st August 2014 in Nairobi, Kenya as an African youth event, open to international youth, with an aim of gathering and strengthening political commitment for governments to support prioritizing investment in youth development in the post-2015 era. Under the theme, “Prioritizing an Investment in Youth Development in the Post-2015 era,” the meeting will cultivate on the recommendations made by young people and create political goodwill for African countries to champion the youth agenda at the intergovernmental negotiations (September 2014-September 2015).
- To galvanize governments to make political commitments towards supporting young people’s demands and aspirations for a better future in the post-2015 era.
- To provide an inclusive platform for young people to engage in a dialogue with decision makers including head of states and ministers to share ideas, experiences and innovative approaches for effectively contributing to the designing of SDGs and their implementation.
- To facilitate effective partnerships with young organizations, the Governments and UN Agencies in designing and implementation the SDGs.
- To engage African countries and organizations including CSOs that will act as youth champions to push for the youth agenda in the SDGs intergovernmental process.
Participants should fulfil the following criteria:
- Being actively involved and nominated by a youth organisation (local, national, regional, international) as volunteers, trainers and/or youth workers. Each organization can nominate upto to 2 applicants – a male and a female;
- Aged between 18-35 years old;
- Being involved in an organisation, project or initiative that aims at the participation of young people in Post 2015 agenda process/decision and policy making.
- Be committed to attend the full duration of the meeting
- Be a key multiplier playing an active role within her/his youth organization, at national or regional level, and plan to continue this work in the near future..