YES-Ghana is partnering 12 community radio stations across the country to produce radio programmes dubbed ‘Youth Encounter with Duty Bearers’.
In the context of the 2014 local government elections in Ghana, these live radio productions will serve as rare encounters between youth, local government officials, and candidates contesting for various local assembly positions, to discuss and prioritise youth issues that require urgent attention as contained in the Ghana Youth Manifesto, as well as strategize to collectively address them.
The project will also convene district youth caucuses of the Voices of Youth Coalition in the 12 community radio districts to serve as platforms for direct engagement with local leaders on the Ghana Youth Manifesto. The youth caucuses will be convened by district focal points and youth radio volunteers of the Voices of Youth Coalition who will liaise with local leaders and partners to mobilise local youth to regularly attend assembly meetings and participate in other public processes, placing the youth voice at the heart of local governance, and build long-term momentum for effective youth participation in decision-making processes within local governance structures in the target districts.
The ‘youth encounter with duty bearers’ radio programmes are expected to result in increased projection of youth issues as an important component of development priorities at the local level. The strategy of convening district youth caucuses of the Voices of Youth Coalition will help scale up youth participation efforts by providing real spaces for young people’s voices to be included in the public processes that affect their lives, continuing to raise awareness of the Ghana Youth Manifesto, and building multi-stakeholder consensus for influencing local and national decision-making processes.
Although the immediate beneficiaries are 300 young people in each of the 12 community radio districts involved in the project, the project will also benefit the wider youth fraternity within each of the districts, and the nation at large. Below is the list of partners:
- Radio Ada – Ada, Dangme East District, Greater Accra Region
- Radio Afram Plains – Donkokrom, Afram Plains District, Eastern Region
- Radio Breezy – Ajumako Bisease, Ajumako-Enyan-Essiam District, Central Region
- Radio Builsa – Sandema, Builsa District, Upper East
- Radio Emashie – Pokuase, Ga West District, Greater Accra Region
- Radio Gurune – Bolgatanga, Bolgatanga Municipality, Upper East Region
- Radio Peace – Winneba, Effutu Municipality, Central Region
- Radio Progress – Wa, Wa Municipality, Upper West
- Radio Radford – Tumu, Sissala East District, Upper East Region
- Radio Royals – Wenchi, Wenchi Municipality, Brong Ahafo
- Radio Simli – Dalun, Tolon/ Kumbungu District, Northern Region
- Radio Tongu – Sogakofe, South Tongu District, Volta Region